Above: The interior of one of our canvas and silk riverside shelters.
Below: Exterior view of riverside shelters.
Riverside Sleeping Shelters
The 133-square-foot, custom-designed waterproof canvas shelters were designed by architect Bryson Van Nostrand of Buckhannon, WV and constructed by Zeke Applegate. They have a spacious four-alcove design that will comfortably accommodate one to three people. Each one has two sets of shelves, a writing table, single-bed air mattresses, and solar-powered lights.
With Michael Davis's shibori-dyed silk fabrics forming the sidewalls, Laurie Gundersen's Appalachian rag rugs warming the wood floors and leaf patterns dancing on the translucent canvas roof, our riverside shelters are magical sleeping spaces that may give you the illusion that you're waking up surrounded by stained-glass windows.
$60/night (single or double)
$75/night (three persons)
Above: Our cabin accommodates up to eight people.
The Cabin at Water Gap Retreat has three sleeping areas and comfortably accommodates up to eight people. The two downstairs bedrooms have full-size beds. The cabin's sleeping loft, accessible by a ladder, has a single bed and a full-size bed. The cabin has a fully-equipped kitchen, dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer, front porch, stone fireplace, television with a DVD player, small stereo, and air conditioning. The cabin is decorated with artwork by Michael Davis, Michael McClintock, Carol Freeman, Sharon Goodman, Ruth Blackwell Rogers, and other local artists. A hot tub is on the back deck. In season, you can enjoy fresh produce from our organic fruit and vegetable garden.
$125/night (single or double)
$150/night (three/four persons)
$175/night (five/six persons)
$200/night (seven/eight persons)
Staying at Water Gap Retreat, you're in the Heart of West Virginia, surrounded by the Allegheny Mountains and a few feet from the Shavers Fork River. With a comfortable cabin and the recent addition of five new riverside sleeping shelters, we can accommodate groups ranging from two to 25 people. Water Gap Retreat is a perfect spot for a family reunion, board meeting or small group retreat.
Water Gap Retreat is within a short walk of Calain's Cove Restaurant and within two miles of four other restaurants: Bella's at Revelle's Campground, The Lodge at Kelly Mountain, Cheat River Inn, and the Whistle Stop.
At Water Gap Retreat, you are also in the right neighborhood for great skiing, canoeing and kayaking, hiking, rock climbing, fishing, hunting, and much more. Check out our AREA INFO page for more details about West Virginia's Potomac Highlands.
• A 6% lodging tax will be added to rates.
• A 50% deposit will be charged to your credit card when you make your reservation.
• Should you need to cancel, your deposit will be returned to you if the accommodations are re-rented for the time period of your reservation.
• Final payment and a $100 damage deposit are due upon check-in. All damage deposits will be refunded within two weeks of your stay, provided the facility is left in good condition.
• All reservations are subject to availability.
• Rentals include the use of the picnic shelter and firewood.
• Linens and towels are provided for cabin rentals.
• Linens and towels are not provided for riverside sleeping shelters. Please supply your own bedding and towels.
• Riverside sleeping shelters are available from early April to late October; cabin rentals are available year-round.
• Riverside sleeping shelters have single air mattresses, pillows, chairs, solar-powered lights, storage shelves and a desk.
• Riverside sleeping shelters are located in a car-free area. After unloading, you are requested to return you car to the parking area.
• All accommodations are non-smoking.
• Pets are not permitted in the riverside sleeping shelters. With prior arrangements, pets may be allowed in the cabin.
Above and below: The kitchen and living room areas of the cabin.